Pages

Friday, July 8, 2011

Chautauqua Star Column: Bemus Point - Stow Ferry

Here is the latest column I wrote for the Chautauqua Star and Bulletin Board newspaper. It involves the Bemus Point - Stow Ferry on Chautauqua Lake, which is celebrating its 200th year of service this year. Don't forget, If you have an entertainment story you'd like to promote in my column, feel free to contact me. Otherwise, here is this week's column.

Gravitations: 200 Years of Ferry Service on Chautauqua Lake

CHAUTAUQUA COUNTY, NY, July 7, 2011 - This weekend is the bicentennial celebration of the Bemus Point – Stow Ferry, so I thought it would be a good time to share my experience in learning about the history of the ferry.

It was two years ago this month that I was working on a story about the ferry for the Chautauqua Star. It was meant to be part of a series of articles we were writing featuring various destinations and attractions from throughout Chautauqua County.

It was mid-July and I went to the town office of North Harmony (were Stow is located) and asked the clerk if she knew were I could get my hands on a couple of past images of the vessel. Eager to help out, she said that not only could she show me a few photos, but she would also introduce me to the man considered the foremost expert of the ferry - Arthur Thomas, who happened to be working at his desk in the building that day.

READ MORE


No comments:

Post a Comment